Published: January 11, 2022 Noon EST
(3 minute read)
In 1987, philosopher Dr. Allan Bloom wrote a book on a deviation occurring in academia, away from objectivism and towards relativism. It was called “The Closing of the American Mind.” He argued this shift began to undermine many things, but most notably the ability for the educated to think analytically.
In his words, “Relativism is necessary to openness; and this is the virtue, the only virtue, which all primary education for more than fifty years has dedicated itself to inculcating.” Instead of focusing on objective truth, universities have become activist entities, preoccupied with addressing alleged societal ills like racism, sex-based discrimination, “gender” roles, etc.
Although it may not be possible to ascertain a conclusive ‘why,’ one thing is for certain; many educated Americans are incapacitated by their inability to critically process and analyze information.
How can this be determined? In the era of a certain Chinese pathogen, civil contention has arisen out of a substantial divide; there is a massive fissure between differing opinions on how to approach the “pandemic.”
Those that still possess the ability to discern fact from fiction, or sanity from folly, have been astounded to learn that their fellow Americans will agree to the most nonsensical ideas or “solutions” to the “pandemic.”
To an educated Leftist, the following ideas most likely make sense:
- Wearing a mask while walking to a table in a restaurant and removing it once seated will protect the wearer and others.
- Participating in clinical trials of an experimental drug that does not prevent contraction, transmission or symptoms of a virus with a 98.6% survival rate in the United States is the better option.
- Arrows on the floors of businesses directing the flow of foot traffic is to help stop the spread.
- Standing 6-feet apart in the airport before being crammed onto an airplane mitigates exposure.
Though the madness doesn’t end there. The death of critical thinking has metastasized, and is affecting every aspect of American culture.
- Words have no meaning. A person can change their biological sex at will by simply saying so. But not only that, a 52-year-old male can “identify” as a 6-year-old girl, or someone could be “trans-species,” indicating they are not entirely human (despite DNA evidence definitively proving otherwise).
- Math is racist.
“Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.” Einstein correctly confirmed that truth is most threatened when we are “unthinking.” If we are to restore American greatness and freedom, we must recognize it is a battle of the minds and ideas.
“For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.”
Our greatest weapon is our ability to reason, think, and ascertain objective truth.